What is the MLK MS PTSA?
The Parent-Teacher Student Association (PTSA) is a group of parents, teachers, administrators, and community members who want to provide our children with an exceptional education. We are a branch of the larger organizational PTA tree which includes the Montgomery County Council of Parent-Teacher Associations (MCCPTA), the Maryland PTA, and the National PTA.
To make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering the MLK community to advocate for the needs of all MLK students. To help MLK MS students, staff, and families achieve their academic, social, and cultural goals.
What do we do and why should you join?
We support the school by providing our students and teachers with programs, resources, and assistance that enrich our children’s overall educational experience. Studies show that parental involvement plays a significant role in student achievement and performance. A strong parent group can make a tremendous difference in how a school functions. At MLK, we encourage all our families to join the MLK Middle School PTSA. It is a wonderful way to get to know the other great families in our school community. In addition, it serves as a vehicle for you to voice your opinion on important issues affecting your child’s learning environment at the local, state, and national levels. And becoming a member does not mean you have to volunteer! The role of the PTSA is to:
- Encourage membership and participation by all families, teachers, students and staff to foster community and advocacy for our school.
- Provide timely communications throughout the school community about events and issues pertinent to the social-emotional, physical and academic health of our students.
- Recruit and retain volunteers to support the academic and programmatic activities
- Provide information about SSL opportunities for our MLK students.
- Support the standard school curriculum, and assist in the implementation of the International Baccalaureate and Dual Language programs
- Raise funding support for:
- Family friendly events like Panther Night
- Student enrichment opportunities like NJHS
- Student scholarships to encourage full participation in events like Outdoor Ed
- Staff Appreciation activities
- Advocate for MCPS support of MLK related needs
- Encourage and support community service activities
For students, participation in PTSA activities (including attendance of General Membership meetings) can be recorded as Student Service Learning (SSL) hours. Student membership also enables our students to grow socially through community outreach activities.
When do we meet?
Every parent has the opportunity for an active voice and interest in their child’s education. The MLK MS PTSA meets at least 5 times a year on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. Before each meeting, we send out a message about the meeting date/time and the agenda. In addition to spending a brief amount of time on budget items, the Principal gives a report, we talk about upcoming events and then host special presentations and speakers of interest to the MLK community.
Meetings are held at 7 PM in the MLK Media Center.